Freeplay Companion Emergency Radio Solar and Wind up
If you need a small radio for travelling or emergency preparedness this is the radio for you! No batteries needed, either use natures very own power, the sun to solar power the radio, or if it's a cloudy day, just use your own power to wind the radio up to hear what's going on.
The Freeplay Companion Radio promises assured listening, anytime, anywhere. This compact solar radio with a wind up option is a robust radio that boasts a rubberised body with recessed control knobs for impact resistance and comfort. Big on functionality, but small in size, the Freeplay Companion is a solar and wind up radio, a flashlight and a mobile phone charger that fits easily into your bag, your glove box or your drawer – ready when you need it, where you need it. The AM/FM radio has an earphone socket for personal listening. The flashlight has 3 LEDs with optics optimised for a focused light. The integrated mobile phone charger means that you’ll never be out of touch because of dead batteries.
Offering a choice of self-charge, solar and external recharge power options, the Companion delivers complete independence from wall power or disposable batteries while ensuring sustainable access to information and entertainment. Freeplay’s patented self-charge technology means excellent reliability. A 1-minute wind gives you 20 minutes of radio listening at normal volume, or 30 minutes of light, and you can wind some more at any time for as much play time / shine time as you want. An LED charge level indicator tells you the best speed to wind.
In direct sunlight the Companion will solar charge itself and play continuously. The internal NiMH battery can be fully charged from either the solar panel or an external charging adapter (any standard mini-USB AC charger will do), to give 12 hours of play time (depending on volume), or 16 hours of shine time. Designed as a companion for those who appreciate the security of a failsafe radio and who value independence from conventional power sources, the Companion is fun and convenient, anytime, anywhere.
The plastic molding and rubberised grip makes it easy to carry and use when the weather is cold. Compact, rugged and weatherproof, the Companion is perfect around the barbecue, inside your home, out camping or as a vital source of information during storms or blackouts.
- Green energy – a sustainable product that’s built to last.
- The Companion offers a real alternative to grid electricity or fossil fuels – never worry about buying, carrying or disposing of batteries again.
- When the battery runs down and you need to wind for power, the Freeplay self-charge mechanism converts your kinetic energy into stored electricity.
- Wind even when the radio’s playing or the flashlight’s shining to top up the battery at any time – never be left in the dark, miss the end of that song, the end of the game or that last item in the news report.
- Wind to put power into your mobile phone even while your call is still in progress – never drop that call.
- Self Charge : A glass-reinforced nylon handle with comfortable knob harnesses human energy by cranking. The handle is connected to the 3-phase alternator via a transmission.
- Solar Panel : A polycrystalline 3.6V 20mA solar panel is integrated into the radio. This serves to play the radio or to charge its batteries without having to wind.
- USB :The Companion may also be fully recharged via a standard USB cable (not included).
To charge from Mains or Computer you will require a mini USB to USB cable, please refer to ACC2USB
- Power Management : A rechargeable NiMH 3 cell battery pack stores the energy generated from human and solar power. The radio will play for 20 to 30 minutes at good volume per 30-second wind.
- Light : The Companion has three ultra-bright LEDs built into a flashlight feature on the side of the radio. When switched on these LEDs provide a useful beam of light.
- Other Charging Options : If selected as an option, the radio may be recharged by standard USB cable.
- Mobile Phone Charging : The Companion has a usb output socket for phone charging.
- Speaker : 4cm 1 W, 8-ohm loudspeaker
- FM: Telescopic antenna
- AM (MW): internal ferrite rod antenna.
- FM: 88-108 Mhz
- AM (MW): 520-1700 kHz
- Height: 63mm
- Width: 130mm
- Depth: 45mm
- Weight: 220g